Monday, June 20, 2011

Final Post: Lessons Learned

As my journey has come to a close I want to thank you all for your support! I'm still alive! And what an unforgettable trip with unbelievable experiences.  It's bitter sweet that this trip has ended but now I'll get to see you soon!  As a farewell here are some of my lessons learned.

Take time to slow down and reflect. Society speeds up the world around us by bombarding us with useless information that we can never fully process making us think and feel as if we don't have enough time.  Filter out the nonsense and take time to enjoy and really live in the moments that make us happy and then we'll realize how lucky we truly are.

A smile/goodwill goes a long way and can make a lasting impression.

Live in the moment. You never know if you'll get another opportunity.

Some lessons are better learned through 1st hand experience. And envy those who will get to experience for the 1st time what makes you happy...live again through their experience: the initial anticipation, the unknown, and the rush of adrenaline to remember what got you hooked.

When I first quit my job I thought to myself, "I'm putting my career on hold, maybe even setting it back" but now I realize if I didn't quit I would have put my life on hold, maybe even set it back.

Initially I thought this was more of a quarter life crisis trip, to figure out what I want to do with the rest of my life in terms of a career while experiencing the world as a bonus. But as I continue through my journeys I'm realizing my priorities: my career does not dictate who I am. A career is just an extension of me and/or a means to justify an end. This journey is rather a means of truly understanding myself.

I believe that the key to humanity is to put someone else's needs before your own. Like a mother does for her child or a husband to his wife. To be able to put yourself on hold, to be selfless, that's what sets us apart.

This is very clique but, think before you speak. It's definitely easier to say than do. 

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! I think we are conditioned to think that our careers (and prior to that, our education) is the center of our lives, when really it's not.

    I'm glad you got to take the time and had the opportunity to take that step back and see the world.. literally! :)The challenge is when you step back into your home.. this is where you are no longer a visitor, an observer, and you have to make sure society doesn't suck you back into the routine. I think this was my greatest challenge when I came back from living in Asia, and it's taken me some time to get back into that "journey" mode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. like! (wait, this isn't facebook) then, amen to the above, all of it. keep writing. (please.) - jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan,

    I followed your travels with great interest. Besides being a talented Finance guy, you're an outstanding photographer and writer, and a pretty good amateur philosopher. Thanks for letting me tag along. Best wishes in your next endeavor.

    Bob Torseth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon,

    Thanks for doing what we all want to do for ourselves one day... to see, feel, hear, smell, taste and tell about the hidden corners in this world. Incredible collection to peruse the blog... best part being that smile get wider and whiter!

    So, I'll ask the major question... where are you now?

    All the Best,
    SC

    ReplyDelete