Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Conned in Cairo

Best sales line I've ever received was while I was walking the Souks in Egypt, "give me chance...I'll make you happy forever."

It was nice to see familiar faces in Cairo; a personalized guided tour and best of all a Korean home cooked meal. So delicious. Thanks Mrs. Kim!

Such complicated street food (btw that's a sweet potato)


Got conned while visiting the pyramids in Giza. Overpaid. But looking back on it now I don't regret it. Definitely a learning experience. Can't always believe in the kindness of strangers. Sounds cynical but it's semantically true. I won't be as naive now, but I also won't let one negative experience ruin my image of a people or my trip. On the bright side I got a journey and a memory I'll never forget: a camel ride to the Giza pyramids, a 7 hour round trip horse ride past the Saqqara pyramids, seeing the sunset on horseback, and learning how to better protect myself: never ever pay large amounts by cash, only use credit cards.


They say NY cabbies are the best, but I don't think they have anything on the Egyptians.

5 comments:

  1. That picture of you on the camel with the pyramids is awesome! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Son, Happy Birthday!!! We wish to celebrate your day together. I,m glad you had great Korean meal on your B-day. I guess it was best gift.Thank!!! We miss you a lot. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks like you're having an awesome time! haha, i like how you're eating your way through europe.. very moonshine. take care! - jeannie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. glad you were able to enjoy a home cooked meal. :) and re: getting tricked into paying too much... i guess everyone's gotta make a living, righ? but seriously good learning experience. and that taxi ride reminds me of being in india and uzbek! again, so jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree w/ jen...the pic on the camel is epic

    ReplyDelete