Saturday, December 11, 2010

Joburg, makeshift Soweto Tour, and the Apartheid Museum


South Africa is totally different than I expected. It’s very modern, especially Johannesburg. Initially I felt like I was back in the States with the exception of the electric fences surrounding every house and building. Then as I started to explore the city more I felt as if I had been transported to 1960’s America or what I imagined it to be. Very segregated with the gap between upper and lower class being huge. Yet it still seemed much better off than the rest of Africa I’ve seen.

I was planning on doing the Soweto Tour but instead decided to do my own township tour for what I thought would be a more authentic experience. The deeper I went in the stranger the looks I got and the less safe I felt. Wish I had the confidence to take pictures, just memories up here (pointing to my head). I was out of place but it was an eye opening experience.

The Apartheid Museum helped piece together and explain what I was seeing in Johannesburg. The museum consisted of long summarizations of South Africa’s history that I’m sure were good. Instead I was mesmerized by the visuals, the graphic snapshots and video of what had taken place. Very insightful and sobering. 



1 comment:

  1. i can't believe you took a solo tour around the townships! be careful!

    ReplyDelete