Saturday, December 11, 2010

Journey to Maputo and Nelspruit

Beggars can't be choosers, and that applies to hitchhiking as well. Be selective to ensure a safe trip, but you can't always wait to get all the bells and whistles. If a ride comes and you're comfortable with getting in, take it. I waited 2 hours for a ride that I could've gotten 2 hours earlier. But either way I paid less and slept laying down instead of upright in an uncomfortable bus seat.

Parts of Maputo have the rural Africa feel, but most of it reminded me of Europe and modern city life. Very trendy...must be the Portuguese influence. I felt strangely awkward and out of place there. Am I that used to traveling? Maybe this is how I'm going to feel when I eventually go home.

Nelspruit, South Africa felt like Beverly Hills compared to Maputo, especially the suburbs with huge gated mansions. I was hoping to find a relatively inexpensive safari tour through a backpackers in Nelspruit since it's the closest city to Kruger National Park. I was sorely mistaken. Instead I was able to hitch a ride for several hours with a generous South African/Washingtonian for a fraction of the safari price. We were able to see 3 of the big 5 (rhino, elephant, buffalo) up close and 2 of the 5 with obstructed/far views (paws of several lions lounging on their backs in the brush and a leopard relaxing in a tree a ways off). It wasn't the safari tour I expected or dreamed of as a kid but it was still very enjoyable and informative thanks to Bruno.





1 comment: