Sunday, February 13, 2011

Varanasi: two sides of India

I've had very different experiences so far in India in terms of people. At the train station Deepak Singh was one of the nicest people I've ever met: sincere and genuine with a contagious smile. He helped us book our tickets, took us to a local eatery, as well as helped us find seats on our train in the unreserved section, asking nothing in return. Doing all this because he had an awesome experience in Korea.

The opposite end of the spectrum was our rickshaw driver from the train station. We had agreed on a set price and location to be dropped off, but he ended up doubling the price and dropping us off at a different location. There was greed in his eyes and a commotion was made. I saw in him a people trying to get by, trying to make a living by whatever means necessary. It made me think, if I was put in his position with the world seemingly against me, would I act the same? Would my true self be a different me or would I be as I think I am? I hope I would be honest and trustworthy even in the most dire circumstances. And I hope that other people would see me in that same light through my actions.

As I am writing this entry I am on a rooftop overlooking the city just before the sun is setting. And as I look around I see the beauty of this city. The streets and rooftops are lined with children screaming in satisfaction as their kites soar with the birds high above the skies. It feels as if the pages of the 'Kite Runner' have come to life. And I'm not the only one enjoying the entertainment. Parents, siblings, friends, and even several baboons are scanning the skies as the children of this city battle with precision, and their mates run after the spoils of the fallen kites. What a change from an hour ago and the rickshaw driver fiasco. The tension is gone and now I'm at peace.

Ganga River. Was thinking of taking a bath with the locals, but I decided I was already dirty.

The sky was filled with kites. The picture doesn't do the moment justice. 

Banana Lassi. So refreshing.

Curries! Not sure which kinds, just know they were amazing!

Photo Op with the local kids. Sooo friendly.

4 comments:

  1. i love india!

    and you look so fobby with those glasses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's been a love/hate relationship so far. love the food/hate the aftermath. many a time i've had to declare a state of emergency and b-line it to the nearest "hole".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,son! Happy Valentine's day! We miss you lot!! Amazing view of Himalayan camp, you look sooooo happy. Hope you get well soon. We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. let me know if you need me to mail u some imodium

    be safe homie.

    ReplyDelete