Saturday, August 21, 2010

Chitown

I forgot how much I missed walking through downtown CHI with my headphones on. Feels like I'm in a movie walking to my own soundtrack. Millennium Park, Lake Shore, Navy Pier... I'm starting to feel nostalgic. Not much has changed in the year I was gone. Still unbearably hot. With all the humidity I feel like I'm in a Turkish steam bath (never been but I should probably go to truly understand the reference). And the weather is sporadic, one hour it’s 90 degrees and sunny, the next it’s pouring rain with lightening storms. Always keeps you on your toes, like the other night in Ravinia Park with Yo-Yo Ma and the Silk Road Ensemble, an unexpectedly entertaining concert with contributions from several bottles of wine, an assortment of potluck cuisine, and new and familiar faces. The rain just added another factor that lightened the mood and was a refreshing change of pace. I guess I brought some of Seattle with me.


As always the people are as friendly as ever. Thanks to Tony for letting me crash at his place. And it was great to see my former coworkers and share some laughs again. I hope to see more familiar faces in the next couple of days.

As always the food is awesome. Per requests, some pictures for your viewing pleasure. 



4 comments:

  1. how bout staying away from generic touristy type photos please thx. That french toast looks hella good though more food pics less skyscrapers please

    ReplyDelete
  2. that french toast looks amazing. and i miss potbelly's chicken salad salad. it's raining in seattle today, so you left right on time. but you did miss unni's ginger crab last night. ;)

    p.s. i think you found your new job... travel writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the rain is following me. First CHI...now NYC. Hope it doesn't follow me across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh speaking of Turkish baths, you must visit Turkey!

    ReplyDelete