Sunday, September 26, 2010

A couple nights in Berlin

I didn't realize how huge Berlin is.  It's around the size of NY, probably bigger.  I almost found out how large it was the hard way too.  I was planning on walking to the Tanzanian embassy to get my visa but thankfully the cross streets weren't on my map, so I took the tube instead.  The embassy ended up being in the heart of the burbs in a residential neighborhood.  10 stops and and around 25 minutes later I arrived.  That would have been a long walk!  I still managed to do around 10-15 miles a day with so much to see:  the Brandenburger Gate, Berliner Dom, Reichstag, and let's not forget the Berlin Wall Monument.


This is for you Jennifer - a picture of my hostel bed
Note: If you ever want to lose weight and a waist I recommend backpacking for an extended time.  So much exercise and not as filling food, I probably lost 15 lbs and 2 notches off my belt already!

Also if the Irish say lets go out for ONE drink, don't believe them...they're very persuasive.

3 comments:

  1. In fairness, we were pretty honest in the fact that we were going to try and keep you drinking all night. How was the head the next day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that bed looks super short. just read an article in time magazine about bed bugs. ick. be careful.

    and 15 lbs in a month!? i need to start backpacking...

    ReplyDelete
  3. paddy - you're right...and my head did hurt the next day. almost missed my train.

    mishmash - thanks for the mention of the bed bugs. i'm sure i'll sleep well tonight.

    ReplyDelete