Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Farewell London, hello Cardiff Wales

After plush living the last several days in London (thanks Daniel for offering up your home), I’m off to Cardiff in Wales. I’ll follow that by heading to Edinburgh and Glasgow in Scotland and then Dublin and Cork in Ireland. These next several legs of my journey will be short, but from what I hear extremely beautiful. I’m really looking forward to seeing the rest of the UK. By the way, if you have any must see places or even better must eats to visit within those cities don’t be shy, let me know!

Thanks again for a FREE place to crash
Looks delicious right!

As a traveler to a new location, I found the locals are the best people to ask for advice whether it be the fastest transportation route, must have foods, or safest hostel locations. And in the last week I’ve found almost everyone is responsive when they get a chance to talk. That’s why I’m headed to Cardiff, a mate I randomly met in McDonalds told me it was absolutely spectacular (his words exactly). How can I not go after a comment like that? Locals are very eager to give their insight and very proud of their city. I guess I’m the same way, I always talk up Seattle to others…but then again Seattle IS the best.

Curry dipping sauce...edible but I can't recommend it.

Other travelers are great to ask too and are so willing to share their experiences. Just the other day I met a couple on their way to Scotland. They’ve been traveling for a month now and essentially have only paid for their airfare by using helpx.net which connects them to miscellaneous jobs for extended periods of time in exchange for room and board. What an awesome way to travel. I should give it a try, but for now since I’m already self funded and want to make the most of my limited time I’ll continue as I am (after all I’m trying to see most of the world in less than a year). Definitely a great opportunity to look to in the future. So for those of you willing to travel and have the time but don’t have the funds, check this site out. No excuses now.

Tickets from London to Cardiff
Reflection of myself on the train over.

6 comments:

  1. i bet i would love the curry sauce with my bigmac. i dont have any specific places for you but please go see a castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was good talking to you the other day! sounds like you're having a lot of great experiences and good food! i heard scotland is beautiful...we had friends who lived there for a few years. anyways, safe travels and be sure to email me your number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice shot of your reflection in the train... you're not even looking at the camera. gettin' fancy now. please post a picture of you sportin' a kilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie - i took you're advice and saw a castle today. i'll post some pics shortly. from what i hear i'll be seeing a lot of them in scotland and ireland as well as a lot of sheep. great... btw ur not dead weight, at least u give it some effort.

    Noonas - i sent my temporary # and no you probably won't see me sportin a kilt. ummmm maybe if i have enough scotch...

    ReplyDelete
  5. not gonna lie i've been staring at your self portrait there tryna figure out how you took that. where's the camera? you photoshop?

    ReplyDelete