Sunday, September 5, 2010

Note worthy firsts in Edinburgh

Edinburgh is now the third European city I’ve traveled too and each has been more amazing than the last. London has its appeal with the major tourist attractions. Cardiff has its natural beauty with the bay and the shear cliff face. And Edinburgh has its charm with its historic buildings all throughout, the Edinburgh Castle overlooking the city, and finally Salisbury Crags towering over the whole countryside.

I’ve had some interesting firsts here…

1. Saw the richest homeless lady wearing a fur coat and sitting on a Burberry blanket. I guess that’s what you gotta do to live the lifestyle.

2. Clubs that play old school songs from my generation that aren’t even mashups like the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song, Ganster’s Paradise, and Grease Lightening (maybe a little before my time) where everyone sings with an accent and dances the part.

3. Witnessed either the earliest or latest drunks at 9am when I walked out of the hostel. Nearly got thrown up on and another should’ve had the decency to use the facilities inside.

4. Had a bunkmate relieve himself in the middle of the night in the middle of our room, and to top it off not remember. Glad it was my last night.

5. Never walked so many stairs in one day: five flights to my hostel (50 stairs), four viewing decks of the Scott Monument to get a 360° view of downtown (300 stairs), an uphill climb to get up to Edinburgh Castle (lost track of the count), and then a 3 hour round trip to get to the top of Salisbury Crags (couldn’t even count if I tried). My calves are going to double in size by the time I leave.

I know the firsts have probably downgraded peoples thoughts about Edinburgh but these pictures will raise them back up. Let me just preface with this, it’s even better in person. This is probably the first and last time I wish I had an SLR. Just realized I don’t even know what SLR stands for. A quick google search provided the answer: single-lens reflex, and yet I still have no clue.

Edinburgh Castle
View from the Scott Monument of Edinburgh and the Salisbury Crags
Arthur's Seat above the Salisbury Crags (3 hr hike round trip)
Sunset overlooking Edinburgh Castle
Sunset overlooking Our Dynamic Earth
Freeedom!!! (quote from the best movie ever....right up there with Top Gun)

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Edinburgh looks absolutely beautiful! Haha...love the Braveheart pic! You look like you've lost weight! Where are you off to next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unni wrote everything I wanted to say. So, ditto. I can't believe you counted the steps. HAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jonathan! Wow, you're so good at doing the updates! I love them! Pictures look amazing! When you feel lonely, know that there are so many people back home thinking of you and praying for you! You DO look like you've lost weight, and I agree with Michelle in the surprise at counting the steps! Haha, I was like, "How did he think of counting the steps? Does he anticipate what he's going to write in his blog, so he does things like that?" :P Thanks for including us in your trip! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Buddy! You look nice!
    Homeless lady with furry coat,Burberry blank?
    Interesting!
    Anyway,how was weather there?
    you may stay luxury hotel(5*) instead of hostel
    once a while for RELAX.
    Eating well!
    Sleep tight, don't let bug bite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang man...photos are awesome. Cant believe you're there at all those places!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i feel like i'm supposed to insa somehow before i post now...haha. Edinburgh looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete