Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Evening Glasgow site seeing, trip to the Highlands, and The Scare

Glasgow in my opinion has the essence of the previous cities I’ve visited; the metropolitan feel of London, the natural flora of Cardiff as well as waterway through the city, and the historical architecture that Edinburgh has although here there are more modern motifs throughout. I found that I really enjoy sight seeing in the evening because there’s not much of a crowd. Only downside is most of the main attractions close by 5 to 6, but you can still get a good feel of the locale plus the architecture and history seem to stand out more for me. During the day Glasgow is bustling with life, but at night it almost feels like a ghost town, even the city center is quiet. It was even creepier as I was walking through the Cathedral District. Great architecture and lighting of the multiple cathedrals, but walking past the cemeteries and mausoleums in the dark in a strange city…you gotta admit pretty eerie.

Glasgow City Center
Cathedral District

The other day I had the opportunity to travel to the Highlands, took a day trip by train to Fort William. Besides the 4 hour train ride each way, the scenery was amazing. Sort of reminded me of going over the passes to eastern Washington but with more rugged and wet terrain and much more wind which created waves on the water and impacted the tree lines. They would only sprout up in between sheltered valleys.

Scottish Highlands

So I had a major scare. While at Fort William and in search of food I noticed my wallet was missing. I started to panic. My whole trip was in there. It held my ID which allowed me to continue my travels and contained all my cash and credit cards as well as my access to money: my debit card. After several minutes and multiple searches through my messenger bag I retraced my steps. The last place I used my wallet was to buy the train ticket. So I went back to the Fort William train station and asked them to call the Glasgow station as well as the train I was on. I was told it would take several hours but that they’d contact me either way. So in those hours I waited in anticipation (and in hunger) thinking to myself, the chances of finding my wallet were zero to none. Yet I had a sliver of hope telling myself, everything will be okay which surprisingly relaxed me. I got a call, “Hello is this Jonathan?” Instantly I knew they had found my wallet. They had only taken my first initial and last name, so the only way they could have known my name is if they had found my ID. Yes!!! I thought to myself. I was soooo lucky. And Scottish people are the best! Just wish I could understand them when they speak.

To commemorate the finding of my wallet and the three weeks since I’ve left Seattle and starting living from a backpack, I treated myself to an Italian Cafe for lunch and a four course taster meal. And tonight I’ll be trying to get tickets to the Scotland vs. Liechtenstein match for the 2012 Euro Cup Qualifier. Tomorrow I’m off to Ireland for a week with idea what to do. Anyone have any suggestions? I’ll be in Dublin and Cork.

Sooo yummy

10 comments:

  1. OMG. I just panicked for you when I read the part about your wallet! Thank God you found it. Probably a lesson learned. Maybe you should start thinking of some talents you could use to panhandle in case it happens again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my brother studied abroad for 2 months in dublin and he loved Wicklow Mountains. I'm not sure why since I've never been there. Obviously the Guinness museum will be up your alley. I forgot what else I did there..I took a tour in that old famous school there. and saw some really old books that were impressive. Thats all I remember to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jon, I've been really enjoying your blogs. I'm seeing a side of you i've never seen.... How come you don't take this good of pictures when you take pictures of us? :) Bro, looks like you're having an experience of a lifetime..thanks for sharing and stay safe. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (sorry, my first post had a typo... it was bothering me. haha.)

    holy buckets, man! i'm glad everything worked out. this blog is a lot of fun. keep it up. maybe you should divide up your ids and credit cards so that you'll have some sort of back up. keep having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad found wallet and turning to happy ending.
    Remind me that we locked out without house key at middle of the night.We call SOS,you rescued us
    Lifesaver!!! It can happen anything our lives.
    Good lesson! Thank you for sharing scare moment.
    When you come back you may see two boys riding a bicycle.I can't wait.Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. my mom's comments are definitely the best. i laugh every time i read them, especially cause i know nobody understands them but me. just one of those things...had to be there, done that kinda thing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unni and i understand! we send text updates. hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. why aren't you using your fannypack?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will definitely start using my awesome fannypack now...

    ReplyDelete