Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The maze that is Venice

I don't know how you can't get lost in this city. And it didn't help that the directions to my hostel were, "go straight for 20 minutes and it'll be the door with stairs going into the water directly in front, can't miss it." Not the greatest directions considering that describes half of Venice.

And I just wanted to let you know, you jinxed me. I did find a bedbug as I entered my dorm room. It oozed of fresh blood as I squished it. I had to google imaged bedbug after as I've never seen one before and wasn't sure. It turns out in the lifecycle of bedbugs, I had just killed a full grown adult. Too much research and too many graphic images...so wasn't looking forward to sleeping that night. First time I used my sleeping bag, and thankfully no bites in the morning.

Venice was somewhat touristy considering there were 5 large cruise ships in port. And I believe it was the off season too. But Venice was still very attractive and a romantic city at that (I should know I'm from Seattle...come on "Sleepless in Seattle". Didn't do me any good as I explored the city with another bloke.

Sunset in Venice.

Gondolas and overlooking the canals.

View from the 2 minute 0.50 euro gondola ride across the canal.  Much better than the standard 30 minute 80 euro ride.

You can really tell they love soccer in Italy when they have signs like these...

I`m really there!

5 comments:

  1. I remember that dad & i had great time in Europe.
    Specilly Alps Switzerland,paris France,Venice in Italy..... Whrer are next destination?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cringed and laughed when I read your incident with the bedbugs. My bad. But good thing I warned you!

    You look like you lost a lot of weight! Better eat more of those delicious looking donuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you lost a lot of weight! Biking and backpacking definitely work for you!:)

    Gross, be careful of the bedbugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom - I'm heading to Barcelona, Spain tonight. I'm in Nice, France right now but the TGV trainlines are on strike. Luckily I was able to get the last seat on the bus for tonights trek.

    Noonas - The further south I go the more bit up I get. The mosquitos love this blood. Not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh,no!!! Don't let bugs bite! Have a wonderful time at Barcelona!

    ReplyDelete