Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Overwhelmed by Rome

The Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Colosseum, Palatino and Foro (ruins), Vatican, Sistine Chapel, and St Peters Basilica were just a few of the many sites I visited in the jam packed 4 days I was in Rome. So much history to absorb in such a short period of time. By far the most impressive site in Rome...the whole trip...my whole life(?), was the Vatican City including St Peters Basilica and the Sistine Chapel. In 2007 a study estimated the total material costs excluding the artwork, which is too difficult to value, of the Vatican City at approximately $4 trillion. That's almost a third of the US deficit. And St Peters Basilica alone has over 4 tons of gold on it's ceiling...just on it's ceiling! And my favorite sculpture the Pieta by Michelangelo is housed there too.  They definitely didn't care about budget. And don't get me started about the Sistine Chapel. Genius. I'm still comprehending and overwhelmed about what I just saw.

Trevi Fountain at night

Colloseum at night.

Me in Rome.

Don't really know what this is...but I saw it on all the postcards.

Michelangelo's Pieta

Another home cooked meal. Met a lot of amateur cooks in my hostels.

9 comments:

  1. how are you in rome and only gonna post one sad food photo?


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus_and_Remus

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lost weigh too much,but look happy & healthy.
    Wow! wonderfull posting. I wish be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never knew the Pieta was your favorite sculpture. I hope to one day be able to see all of the amazing things I studied from books and slides. Jealous.

    Where to next??

    ReplyDelete
  4. rome looks awesome! i feel like you've been in europe forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha that's statue of romulus and remus, twin founders of Rome.
    I'm surprised that you managed to find that statue!
    It's too small and high up (kind of..) so I had hard time finding it in that park thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. mooners...got another postcard from you!! i'm starting a wall of your postcards in my room haha....living vicariously through you. let's skype soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww...Rome! When do you leave for Africa?

    ReplyDelete
  8. dude, i have the same pictures. looks like all tourists take photos in the same spot. i also love the pieta...so beautiful. another cool piece was at a smaller church called, "ecstasy of st. teresa" (it came out in the book angels and demons :)

    anyways, be safe and continue having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eunga - Always hating. Why so negative?

    Noona - I'm planning to head to Africa on the 20th of this month. Morocco camel tour, cruise down the Nile in Eqypt, then Kili in Tanzania, and finally relax in South Africa. Trying to make it all happen. Hopefully I can make it work.

    ReplyDelete